Re: DualCores and Current Cygwin problems

Joseph Kowalski wrote:

[snip]
Don't be too sure. The configuration I described also has an Intel PRO/1000 MT with driver from Intel (via Microsoft).

Another experiment I didn't mention is I loaded the same software stack on to another machine with a single core processor (Shuttle FX41). It also has an Intel PRO/1000 MT. It showed no problems.

However, I suspect this is just coincidence. My build is "network silent". The network adapter shouldn't be involved.

Interesting. The problems I have seen only happen after booting up, so yes it looks like different problems.

On the other hand every thread in Cygwin has an associated UDP connection (the implementation uses it), so "network silent" is not quite true... but I don't know how fork is implemented and if it uses UDP connections also. You could monitor with TCPView if any such UDP ports are being open.

The interesting part would be to know what resource is the message "Resource temporarily unavailable" talking about. It could be a Windows XP-SP2 limitation: can't open more than 10 connections in a given time span (the default after SP2 set in TCPIP.SYS), it was different before SP2 but that patch is very old and I've only seen these messages recently.

For me, it started when I updated Exim to 4.66, about a month or two ago, yesterday I installed version 4.67 so the problem may change again.
--
René Berber