Trouble with export

I just installed cygwin (1.5.24-2) on a Windows Vista machine.
When I execute a script file to set my environment variables,
they look okay but don't actually work correctly.  The following
example shows the difference between what happens when I execute
the export command directly from bash and from the script.
Note that the simple echo command appears to show that everything
is fine, but the cd command fails, and when leading and trailing
characters are echoed the variable defined in the script strangely
shows up after the trailing characters.  I cut and paste the
export command straight from the script file (both from the screen
print and from withing vi), but it still always works from the
command line and fails from the prompt.  This used to work just
fine on an older version of cygwin running on windows XP.  I've
recreated new test scripts from within cygwin to make sure there
weren't any extra control characters, but that doesn't help.

Any thoughts on what to try next would be greatly appreciated!

$ cat set1
export FRED=mydir

blah@blah /cygdrive/c
$ export FRED=mydir