Re: Cygwin Problems on Vista (Install and others)

this isnt really a problem. its just cygwin wanting a /etc/passwd and
/etc/group that it likes, but they didnt get generated because of a
phase of the moon bug. (i get it with the user "admin" but not with
the user "user" - both exist on my machine)

If you say so. But I've never had this problem before and I've installed cygwin on a bunch of machine.

> Third problem:
> Then I tried to click the startx shortcut on the desktop.  The xserver starts
> but the xterm that comes with it never appears.  I tried startx from the cygwin
> bash shell.  Sometimes it starts and an xterm appears.  and sometimes it
>  exits right away.  I closed all cygwin apps and ran ash from cmd.exe,
> ran rebaseall.  Now the startx works from the cygwin bash shell.

erm... the startx shortcut is _supposed_ to do that. you can run this
at a cygwin terminal or from a batch file for a child X window root
and twm:
X -display localhost:0 (blah) & (NOTE the "&" and YES it has to be
localhost. no 127.0.0.1 's - Hast Worked For Me.)
twm -display localhost:0 & (again, note the "&")

mmm I was pretty sure that once, the desktop shortcut _did_ give me an xterm window. Anyways, that aside, its still didn't consistently work when I invoked startx from the cygwin bash shell. Some times X would exit immediately and sometimes it would start. It was frustrating, but it seems to be behaving consistently now (after the rebaseall) so I'm concerned. I just wanted to mention it in case anyone had a similar problem.

> Fourth problem:
> I wanted to quickly test my access to a remote system via rsh.
> I open a cygwin bash shell and run "rsh user1@foo ls" and get back:
> "12673 [main] rsh 4060 C:\cygwin\bin\rsh.exe: *** fatal error - couldn't dynami
> cally determine load address for 'rcmd' (handle 0x74140000), Win32 error 127
> Hangup"

i dont do rsh but have you tried this from another computer (with say
PuTTY) - also, see if rsh's daemon is alive or if you need one.. i
install everything and usually I dont get a real rsh daemon, so i
compile the official one from source.

But the error has nothing to do with whether or not an rsh daemon is running. The rsh command should give back an error message or time out. The error message, to me, says that rsh is trying to invoke a function call 'rcmd' from a dll and that dll (presumably cygwin1.dll) doesn't not contain that symbol.

The servercheck log is attached.