Re: [Ping Python maintainer]: enhancement request

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 03:30:59PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>* Christopher Faylor (Tue, 1 May 2007 10:22:58 -0400)
>>On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:59:20PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>>* Eric Blake (Tue, 01 May 2007 07:27:49 -0600)

>>>You are right.  Unfortunately you cannot "see" hard links in Cmd or 4NT
>>>"dir" output (while softlinks are displayed as junctions).
>>
>>That's incorrect.  DIR does display hard links, at least on XP.
>
>It displays the file but no information that this is "only" a hard
>link.  With ls you have "-i" to check the inode...

It doesn't matter what DIR displays.

I don't think it's fruitful to spend a lot of time worrying about how
the non-POSIX, non-LINUX, MS-DOS shell interacts with the more advanced
things that Cygwin does.  <broken record>The whole point of Cygwin is
to make things better so that you don't have to use MS-DOS tools</broken record>.

Anyway, I'm only still typing because I'm trying to make sure that there
are no misconceptions in this thread which will come back to haunt in
the future.  I don't think that a hard link is the way to go unless
someone wants to fix setup.exe.

cgf