perl DBD::mysql under cygwin question

Hello the cygwin people,

I decided to use cygwin because I'm working with
biological packages that run on linux unix, and I work
mainly on windows. I have only little experience with
linux\unix.

I installed cygwin?on my?windows xp?recently, with all
modules. I had?no problems with running perl scripts
under cygwin, and installing?perl modules like
bioperl.
  ?
Then I tried to install DBD::mysql.?
ccording to the instructions I have to first download
mysql linux?source, to compile it and install it
under?cygwin. here are the instruction -
http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-mysql/lib/DBD/mysql/INSTALL.pod

I followed them but 'make install' for mysql gave
errors.
  ?
I used mysql source "Compressed GNU TAR archive
(tar.gz)" here:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
  ?
so: is it the right version ?