Re: attn gzip and info maintainer

According to Christopher Faylor on 4/24/2007 6:53 AM:
> If I do a 'strings' on info.exe, I see the strings 'bzip2' and 'gzip'
without
> extensions.

True, but look at this:

$ strings /bin/info.exe | grep -A12 gunzip
gunzip
.bz2
bunzip2
uncompress
unyabba
.info
-info
.inf
/usr/local/info:/usr/info:...
.exe
%s%s < %s
%s...

Info intentionally appends the .exe suffix, concatenating both 'gunzip'
and '.exe' along with the redirection, in creating the system() call, so
that the subsidiary /bin/sh invocation sees 'gunzip.exe < filename.gz'.

[and while testing this, I noticed that strace shows argv of the primary
process, but not of the children processes; it would be nice to see argv
for all processes in an strace]

> I have to admit that my eyes glaze over when people start talking about
> .exe extensions so I wasn't paying attention (my bad) when this decision
> was made.  I don't remember, however, this decision being put to a vote
> for package maintainers because I definitely would have voted for each
> maintainer fixing their package rather than having you do it for us.

Fair enough.

The list of affected packages is here:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2007-04/msg00065.html

And I will release coreutils-6.9-2 that does not do the postinstall
renaming when bumping it to current, rather than promoting the existing 6.9-1.

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net