Re: Setup.exe Problems on Vista

On 4/23/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn AT artimi DOT com> wrote:
On 24 April 2007 00:19, Michael D. Adams wrote:

>> Just now I installed Vista under VMware to try installing Cygwin.  It
>> worked fine using the latest version of setup.exe.  I did not have to
>> disable UAC but it did prompt me to run as Administrator (which it does
>> for any executable named setup.exe IIRC.)  Postinstall scripts all ran
>> fine, sh.exe was there and there was no need to put \cygwin\bin in the
>> PATH manually.
>
> I tried a fresh install of cygwin (after stashing away the old version
> (with move, but I skipped the unmoust since I use the default mounts
> anyway)) with setup.exe version 2.562 (from the snapshots).  Oddly,
> while sh.exe is now being created and the prompt is the colored one
> that Cygwin usually sets, /etc/passwd is not being created.  I am
> uncertain whether this is the same bug manifested in a new way or if
> it might be a new bug.  (Obligatory grumble about Vista being a pain.)
>
> Did you check your /etc/passwd?  I only noticed it b/c when I started
> the shell my home directory was set to C:\Users\<my_user> instead of
> C:\cygwin\home\<my_user>.  (C:\Users is Vista's version of what in XP
> is C:\Documents and Settings.)

  What's going on here could be related to security changes in the way Vista
handles dll and executable search paths, perhaps, but that's fairly
speculative.

  Which reminds me.  Isn't it about time this conversation had some input from
cygcheck on the various systems involved?

Do you just want a 'cygcheck -c' or is there another option you'd like the output from?

Michael D. Adams