Re: Setup.exe Problems on Vista

On 4/22/07, Michael D. Adams <mdmkolbe@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/22/07, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote:
> "Michael D. Adams" wrote:
>
> > The workaround for this problem that I have found is to set the
> > *Windows* path to include C:\cygwin\bin before running setup.exe.  So
> > for example this sequence works:
> >
> > set PATH=C:\cygwin\bin;%PATH%
> > setup.exe
> >
> > Then /bin/sh is actually created, the prompt is the usual Cygwin settings, etc.
> > Of course the proper solution would be to find and fix the root cause.
> >  Is this a known bug?  Is there any other info I can provide to help
> > find the root cause? (I'm suspicious that Vista might not allow the
> > program to set PATH.)
>
> That would be pretty brain dead if Vista did not allow programs to
> modify the PATH.  That would cause about a million failures in Cygwin
> and various programs.

See Morgan's responce. It's brain dead, but that's Vista for you.

> > OS: Vista Home Premium
> > Setup.exe Version: 2.510.2.2 (run without administraitor permission)
>
> Please try the latest setup.exe snapshot, if you can.  And even better
> would be to debug the problem.  I don't have access to a Vista system
> but if I did I think I would start by running it under gdb/insight and
> putting a breakpoint at script.cc:run() right before CreateProcess and
> check the environment.  Or create a test package with a postinstall that
> just runs "env > /tmp/foo" or "sleep 1h" or something so that you can
> inspect the environment.

Where are those snapshots located? A quick google didn't turn them up.

Since I already have a Cygwin install, does Cygwin play ok if I put a
second install (for testing the snapshot) or do I need to remove the
old Cygwin install first?

Eh, gmail sent before I meant it to.

Last thing I wanted to say was to note that I'm not set up for
developing cygwin.  So while I'm happy to run test builds, I haven't a
clue how to build setup.exe or a package. (Unfortunately my
involvement in other open source projects doesn't leave me with the
time to learn how to do that either.)

Michael D. Adams
mdmkolbe@gmail.com