RE: Install problem on XP SP2

Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:

> > I've been unable to successfully install Cygwin on an XP SP2
> > machine
> > after several tries.
>
> I have been able to install successfully, after repeated attempts.
> However, I have not really resolved the problem.

  [snip]

> It's possible I've fundamentally misunderstood the operation of
> setup.exe in some way or another; in fact, as a user of it since the
> beginning, I believe this is probably likely.  If so, I apologize,
> but
> nonetheless, this utility needs to be fixed so that these problems
> won't
> happen; or alternately be replaced by a more mature, better
> maintained
> alternative.

I have seen the same sort of behavior by setup.exe, but I download the
entire distribution every time.  When I select the 'Install' option
for the 'All' item, I would expect all packages in all categories to
install ... but they don't.  To get around it, I open up each category
and select 'Install' for each item.  It takes a while, but it always
seems to work.  Perhaps I get this behavior because the 'Hide obsolete
and administrative packages' checkbox is checked; this possibility
didn't occur to me until after the last time I upgraded, so I'll try
it next time.  Up until now, however, this has been such a minor issue
that I haven't worried about it.

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.