Re: Install problem on XP SP2

On 4/18/07, Aaron W. LaFramboise <aaronpurpleleaf4@aaronwl.com> wrote:
Aaron W. LaFramboise wrote:

> I've been unable to successfully install Cygwin on an XP SP2 machine
> after several tries.

I have been able to install successfully, after repeated attempts.
However, I have not really resolved the problem.

Apparently, and I've had problems with this in the past, not all
packages are downloaded during the 'download all packages' stage.  This
can happen for various reasons, none of them very obvious.  Sometimes
you can fix this by doing a second download pass, where it will pick up
the ones it missed.  Sometimes this doesn't work, mysteriously.
Hypothetical reasons: broken mirror, local system problems, random
setup.exe bug, interference with existing installation, high humidity.

Bug 1) Packages are silently not downloaded, when the user assumes that
they are.

it LOOKS like they are silently not downloaded. you have to hit package dependancies in the package, or the mirror is broken.

I have always done as full of an install as i can (everything from
Base, Admin, KDE, Gnome, net, X, etc.). I have only ONCE not had a
package fail, and that was because it wasnt on the server.

*** If there's a problem with a mirror or the local system, or something else that causes the download to not work, there needs to be a very visible warning.

Bug 2) There is no md5sum for the entire repository, meaning there is no
way for the user to personally verify that a mirror has the correct
stuff, or that his download was correct.

there is. just read the mirror data where you put the cygwin temp stuff. last I checked, there was an MD5 hash for each entry.

*** The md5.sum in sourceware.org should include the entire release
folder, rather than just setup.*, so people can verify file integrity,
as well as confirming that they have all of the files they need to have.
you volunteering?
Bug 3) If the user has requested a full install, but a package is
missing, this error is ignored silently.
no it isnt. you get a big fat warning at runtime. and (pmr) you can
CHECK the package list before you download

*** This is the most serious problem, and likely the cause of many of
the mysterious install failures that are never analyzed, or are blamed
on virus checkers etc.  When a package is requested, but the matching
package file is missing, a very serious error message needs to appear,
and setup.exe should abort.

It's possible I've fundamentally misunderstood the operation of
setup.exe in some way or another; in fact, as a user of it since the
beginning, I believe this is probably likely.  If so, I apologize, but
nonetheless, this utility needs to be fixed so that these problems won't
happen; or alternately be replaced by a more mature, better maintained
alternative.

<bitchmode> my only complaints for NOW are: * the package selection screen is SLOoW! I've waited for it to get x/cywin for the nth time because "Ohh! theres some package in Base i need!" - we need to write some installer in like C++/QT and write a wrapper with NSIS or sumting * Spaces are not liked at ALL. if cygwin.dll could convert spaces at runtime to "_" or "." or something, I would simply install xp and run Cygwin </bitchmode>

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.