Re: Status of hstrerror() and h_errno in cygwin and one more important question

On 04/10/2007, Eric Lilja wrote:
Dave Korn wrote:
> On 09 April 2007 22:35, Eric Lilja wrote:

<snip>

>> Since the program is exiting its memory is bound to be
>> returned anyway, but this still annoys me to no end. I just wrote a
>> console version which I thought I could use as a simpler test case but
>> that version does not core dump, heh.
>>
>> Afaics, cygwin doesn't have a mailing list for those developing their
>> own programs under cygwin and need support. >
> Absolutely it does, and this is it.

Oh, it is? Well, that's great! But sometimes, I've seen such questions about problems with programs developed using the cygwin tools getting a response like "you have a basic c++ problem, basic bash problem and this is off-topic". My particular problem turned out, as I wrote above, to be a double delete and that would have happened had this been a pure win32 program (no pthreads or cygwin sockets).

Yes, you're right. This is not a generic C++, bash, etc. help list. It is a Cygwin help list. That doesn't mean you won't get help in these other areas from this list. Just that you should not come to the list with an obvious non-Cgwin problem and expect to have someone here delve into it with you. As you are aware, there are other lists that are dedicated to providing help in these other areas and we're trying hard to not dupilicate their efforts. We ask you to use your best judgement when you have a problem that you'd like to approach this list with. And we always reserve the right to point out that the issue in question is not a Cygwin issue and is therefore off-topic for this list.

Holliston, MA 01746