Re: Building GCC 4.3.0 on Cygwin...

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 06:55:16PM -0700, Tim Prince wrote:
>>There is no conspiracy.  What is needed is for there to be a vocal
>>advocate on the gcc list for Windows patches.  I can only approve a very
>>limited amount of stuff so we need gcc global maintainers to approve the
>>majority of Windows fixes.
>
>I didn't call it a conspiracy, but I myself have been the recipient of
>comments from Microsoft personnel like "we don't want you using cygwin,
>we won't fix Windows bugs which are reported mainly by cygwin users."  I
>don't claim to see uniformity in positions taken by people representing
>Microsoft.

We are talking about people who support gcc.  It was mentioned that Mumit
Khan disappeared.  There is no cause to think that he was forced away by
Microsoft.  DJ Delorie did not go away because of Microsoft.  I'm still
here.  Danny is still here.  While we may not be as active as people
would like, there is no reason to spend much time talking about Microsoft
being the cause.

I told you the cause.  You can believe me or not.  You can claim to have
received communication from Microsoft.  I can claim to have been given
gratis copies of Microsoft Windows by Microsoft (which is true).  The
end result is that we still need someone to just do the work.

Anyway, if Microsoft is really somehow influencing things then we should
all be very afraid.  If a corporation can do that then there isn't much
hope for this "open source" thing.

cgf