Getting 'Bad file descriptor' error with 1.5.24-2

Hi all -

I'm running a build of a fairly large/complex software project with Make, and at random points the whole thing will hang just after printing the error:

/bin/sh: cannot duplicate fd 31 to fd 0: Bad file descriptor

Sometimes the leaf process is sed, sometimes gawk, sometimes sh, but in all cases they are buried under a half dozen 'make's, and 'sh's.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to debug this?  Is there any setting I can change in windows or Cygwin to avoid it?  I have tried some things like increasing desktop heap, etc, but still see the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Scott