Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openssl-0.9.8e-1, openssl-devel-0.9.8e-1

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I have both openssl 0.9.8 and 0.9.7 installed. How can I find out what
is using 097 and get rid of it if I don't need it anymore?

Based on Corinna's comment, it's fair to assume that if you have this package, it is because you have one of the following situations:

  2. You had a package that used it but didn't get uninstalled
     properly for some reason, leaving around openssl097.

Shouldn't that be:

2. You had a package that used it at one point.

??

I wouldn't expect the installer to remove a legacy package A if, after installing B which depends on A, you then upgrade B so that it no longer needs A. How would it know that you didn't meanwhile build something that uses A?

'setup.exe' only tracks package dependencies during installation really. Also it doesn't know anything about other software that's not a Cygwin package installed by 'setup.exe'. So it can't track these. The only way the package will "go away" is for you to uninstall it. If that didn't proceed as planned for some reason, it may still be hanging around. So in your example, you have to uninstall A and B if you want both A and B to go away. Installing B, however, will bring along the current version of A automatically unless you make changes to prohibit that.

I should've also pointed out that it's also possible to just uninstall
openssl097 and look for things that won't start anymore at runtime.  If
you don't know if you have anything that still relies on it, you probably
don't.  And if you do, you just upgrade to the current version using
'setup.exe' or rebuild it from scratch using the current Cygwin -devel
package.

Holliston, MA 01746