Re: gracebat runs in X, but not as a system call from a perl script

moka@hol.gr wrote:
Better now, but still something is missing cygwin is under c:\cygwin e.g. c:\cygwin\bin

There I see

\bin\gracebat.exe->/usr/grace/bin/xmgrace.exe
What is this? There is no \bin\gracebat.exe. Cygwin doesn't use backslashes in path names. So then how do you "see" this?
but also the same for /bin/xmgrace.exe
Ditto. How do you "see" this. BTW "this" doesn't look like "that" which looked more like a symlink.

BTW2 You are aware that Cygwin mounts C:\Cygwin\bin onto both /bin and /usr/bin...
The script directory is c:\cygwin\mydir

so in the perl script
my $updir='..';
my $gracebat=$updir .'/usr/grace/bin/xmgrace ';
What's this $updir stuff? It's unnecessary.

Also, are you executing a .bat file as alluded to in the past, or gracebat.exe or xmgrace.exe. This is sooo confusing!
system("$gracebat ... -printfile $printfile....");
Might as well show what's contained in the "..." portions... and $printfile for that matter! Don't post code fragments that wouldn't get through the Perl interpreter! Post enough of your Perl code so that somebody else could copy and paste it to Perl and expect no errors. Granted we may not have xmgrace.exe but at least we'd have enough of the "story".
prints to the screen, not the file.
Again, are you running Cygwin's perl or ActiveState. Is gracebat.exe (or xmgrace.exe) a Windows oriented executable or Cygwin oriented executable?

What happens if you type the contents of "$gracebat ... -printfile $printfile..." in to the bash shell directly?
This looks right to me, since gracebat and xmgrace link to the SAME
 executable, xmgrace.exe.

How can I get $gracebat to do whatit would do on linux, i.e.
write to a file(I tested this on linux and it works fine)
?
Did you test it on Cygwin? By that I mean can you type in the command line to the bash shell such that it works correctly? Once that's achieve the task is to get Perl to compose the same command line.