Re: Help. Cygwin corrupting files

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> Have you checked if you can do similar operations with DOS commands?  I
>>> believe what you're seeing here is a hardware (probably disk) problem.
>>> Years ago I had a failing disk pick off files randomly for a while until
>>> the whole thing finally went.
>>>

>> Is there a way to run the "ls" command in debug mode so I can see
>> exactly where it's failing? It might give me some indication of what's
>> going on.
>
> In Cygwin, there's strace to get a look at the system calls made by
> Cygwin tools.  There's also file and process monitors from sysinternals
> (now MS) that can provide some insight.

Thanks.  Can you or anyone help debugging the trace output?

I ran with strace like this:

strace -o ls2.trc -m debug ls -1

I captured output for a failed execution to ls.trc and a succesful one
to ls2.trc. ls2.trc contains about 250 lines. ls.trc contains only 1 line
	"[main] ls 1792 set_myself: myself->dwProcessId 1792"

The 2nd line in the succesful trace (ls2) is a call to
etEnvironmentStrings. Does that mean that's where it's failing when it
fails?