Re: Help. Cygwin corrupting files

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> Have you checked if you can do similar operations with DOS commands?  I
> believe what you're seeing here is a hardware (probably disk) problem.
> Years ago I had a failing disk pick off files randomly for a while until
> the whole thing finally went.

Everything works fine in windows both in the gui and at the dos prompt.
I can create, edit, delete, and list files without issue. The problem
seems to be confined entirely to cygwin and seems to be getting worse.
Whereas at first it was just the ls command, not it's ls, rm, and
sometimes my login .profile hangs. Not sure what command it's hanging
on. Again it's all intermittent. Sometimes it works and sometimes it
doesn't. It all does seem to be related to disk access though. For
example ssh hasn't shown any problems yet.

I will scan the hd for errors but I don't expect to find any. This HD
came with the my new laptop and is only about 6 months old.

I think something either got corrupted in cygwin, or it's in conflict
with something else that was recently installed. The only things I can
remember installing recently are a few updates from MS, a new cygwin
kernel (1.5.24-2), and DaemonTools for mounting CD image files as
virtual drives. I uninstalled the latter but it made no difference. I
also believe I saw the problem first occurring some time yesterday
afternoon before installing DaemonTools.