RE: vi, emacs do "nothing"

On 05 February 2007 18:22, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> I've used cygwin in the distant past, several times, and I don't remember
> this being a problem. What I mean by "doing nothing" is just that - I type
> "vi", "vim", "emacs" (they are all installed) and I simply return to a new
> prompt. There is no error, because the programs are evidently found; they
> are in my PATH.
>
> I can't imagine that it's an X issue - PuTTy doesn't have a problem running
> vi when I contact from Windows to Linux. After all, you are just temporarily
> swapping out the contents of the terminal window.
>
> I'd prefer an error, because that would indicate what's happening.

  It could be a missing dll.  You probably did get an error status, but you
don't get a pop-up appearing, because that's bad news in a command-line
environment that's expected to be running shell scripts and so on (see past
threads for more debate...)

  What is the output from running "vi ; echo $?" at the command line?  What do
you see from running "cd /usr/bin ; cygcheck vim.exe"?

    cheers,
      DaveK