Re: Eliminating -mno-cygwin from gcc?

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:29:01AM -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >Matt Wozniski wrote:
> >>Before simply ripping out support for it, how about just adding a
> >>message to gcc so that when passed "-mnocygwin" on the command line, it
> >>warns that it's deprecated and will be removed in the near future,
> >>before processing?
> >
> >...and add a REALLY BIG MESSAGE that, if something breaks, the person to
> >complain to is the package maintainer and not the Cygwin ML. :-)
>
> No, if something breaks then the user has to fix it.
>
> I don't mind adding a deprecated feature but I think some kind of
> optional wrapper script eliminates the need.

I agree, except that some people invoke Cygwin's gcc from non-Cygwin
programs, which would present a problem if it were a shell script.
Perhaps we should add some option preprocessing to the gcc executable
itself (which would exec the cross-gcc if -mno-cygwin is present)?

> And, I really think that we should consider adding some kind of way
> to warn people about these issues in setup.exe.  I've always thought that
> it should be somehow possible for packages to open dialog boxes.

FWIW, I've been toying with the idea of setup keeping an open pipe that
postinstall scripts could write to, so that any messages coming via that
pipe are displayed as dialog boxes...  It probably won't help in this
particular case, since you'd want to see this information *before*
installing the package.

Another thing that I was thinking of doing was some way of displaying the
release notes (or at least the announcement message) for the selected
package.  However, that will require either reworking the chooser or
adding the popup menu functionality to it, as well as some system on
sourceware to keep track of the announcement messages (also proposed but
never implemented).  Anyone want to take a shot at the popup menu
implementation in the chooser?

The followups to the last couple of paragraphs probably belong on
cygwin-apps...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin