Re: Snapshot speed on managing files

On Jan 13 21:02, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 13 January 2007 18:19, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > So, what's up on the slow machines?
>
>   How full are your respective recycle bins?  I've noticed just through
> deleting things in ordinary windows explorer that the recycle bin thrashes
> like crazy when it starts to get full; seriously thrashes, like 15 or 20
> seconds just to delete a small file.

I never use the recycle bin so it's empty by default.

However, did you have a look into the code of the unlink_nt and
try_to_bin functions?  It's open source...

The recycle bin in its capacity as the recycle bin is something on top
of the shell32 lib.  From the point of view of the NT kernel the recycle
bin is just another directory.  There's also the fact that try_to_bin
doesn't use the user specific subdirectories on NTFS, but rather the
parent dir.  AFAICS, thrashing shouldn't be a problem here.

Corinna

Red Hat