Re: activestate perl on cygwin

moka@hol.gr wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
I don't actually install through cygwin, but use the ppm installer from Activestate.
Why people would want to use a proprietary Perl with a proprietary installer is beyond me. Let me ask you a question, what happens when you call setsid in this ActiveState Perl? Anyways...
Well, in my case when I make the call I run perl on Linux. Here I had to write a scripton a windows machine and before checking cygwin I checked activestate. Then I needed some modules, DBD:Orcale to be exact.
Maybe you should have looked for DBD::Oracle instead? :-)

There's another thing. Why spend all kinds of $$$ on Oracle when one can use a fine database like MySQL for free?
This was a HUGE pain to get it to work, as Activestate has no binary.
Well I've never tried to get Oracle working through Cygwin (again I would just use MySQL) but you say it was a pain to get to work under ActiveState. Did you try to get it to work under Cygwin?
After having gone through this I got a further request: "can your script do some graphs to?" Then I thought of grace which does not work under windows, hence cygwin. But then I remembered the Oracle pains and though" what it Oracle has a problem with cygwin or is a similar pain(I had some equally bad experience installing an oracle client on Linux), so since I'm no Oracle expert
and would not have much help I decided not to mess with the perl+oracle DBD, hence installed the cygwin modules except perl. Ugly, but seems to work...
Aside from the grammatical errors my point still stands. AFAIK ppm, ActiveState's module installer, only works in ActiveState and I don't believe that ActiveState works on Linux, Unix and Macs, whereas the standard perl -MCPAN thing works on all of those and Windows too, under Cygwin of course. And to me Cygwin is precisely that bit of great glue that can make all of these platforms relatively the same and portable. As such, insisting on a product that only works on one platform and works differently than all other platforms just doesn't seem the right way to go. And yes I know many clients (I'm a contractor and have clients too - I'm not without experience here) don't, for some reason or another, trust or rely on Cygwin in this fashion to help "normalize" the environment so that many applications can be written and shared between the various platforms that these clients have. However that doesn't mean that this is not the best way to go, IMHO. YMMV, and all that.

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
That's a hell of an ambition, to be mellow. It's like wanting to be senile. - Randy Newman