Re: username should be lower-case for $USER

On 1/9/07, Shankar Unni wrote:
TDavid Smiley wrote:
> I am new to Cygwin.  I noticed that the $USER environment variable has my
> username in upper-case.  So it is "DSMILEY".

As David said, that's because you created your username in ALL UPPERCASE
when setting up the user on Windows.

The only way to "fix" this for you would be to rename your Windows user
to have a lower-case name. (If windows allows that operation..)

My user ID is numbers only so I cannot test this.

The suggestion of just renaming your user account is actually the
easiest one if you have administrative rights in your domain.

But I do have a few other suggestions in case you don't.

Since Windows is not a case-sensitive operating system and since the
$USER environment variable is dynamically populated when you logon,
try logging on with your user name as 'dsmiley' instead of 'DSMILEY'
and see if that changes the environment variable.

If it doesn't, you may be able to fix it by deleting your user profile
and then logging on with your user name in lower case.

As I said, Windows is not case-sensitive as far as user names go.  You
can log on as 'DSMILEY', 'dsmiley', or 'DsMiLEy' and it will work.
But I don't know if it will change your $USER environment variable
because I don't know exactly how Windows populates it.

-Jason