Cygwin make menuconfig hangs

Hello,

Currently I can build the linux kernel 2.6.17 under Cygwin without issue
with a stock .config file from my development board supplier (ARM9,
AT91RM9200).  However, I can not get make menuconfig to work.

I'm using 'make ARCH=arm KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no menuconfig'.  Originally
this was failing all over the place during the linker looking for
ncurses.  After many attempts at various things (compiled ncurses-5.5
with library option, etc) trying to get a .so file, I come to kind of
realize that a .so and a dll may be the same thing.  So I 'ln -s
libncurses.dll.a libncurses.so' and menu config compiles.  So I get past
the linker.

How it just sits there stalled, looking at me, doing nothing:

$ make  ARCH=arm KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no menuconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/mconf
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/lxdialog
Info: resolving _COLS by linking to __imp__COLS (auto-import)
Info: resolving _LINES by linking to __imp__LINES (auto-import)
Info: resolving _stdscr by linking to __imp__stdscr (auto-import)
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/arm/Kconfig
<hung>

It does this with or without the .config file in place.

A ps tells me 2 copies of make, mconf, and lxdialog are running in the
background.

I'm not sure if the linking thing is right or something else I'm
missing.

Please help!

Gabriel