Re: Cygwin not functioning on laptop

std05073@di.uoa.gr wrote:
Hi, I am a proud user of Cygwin, mainly use it for
programming with c. I recently got a laptop (acer Aspire 9424, intel core 2 duo
1,83GHZ, geforce go 3700 256mb, 2 gb ddr2) and installed on it the default
Cygwin dll 1.5.23-2 along with the packages Devel, Doc, Editors, Math, Shells
("C:\asi")
When I first hit the cygwin icon, the command prompt
showed me this:

3 [main] bash 2604 fork_copy: linked dll data/bss pass 0 failed, 0x5BD00G .
.0x5BD020, done 0, windows pid 2616, Uin32 error 487
bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
bash-3.00$

No command works. Normally It should have created a home folder ("manos") but it
didn' t. I created a "home" folder  and a "manos" folder in it and copied all
files from "C:\asi\etc\defaults\etc\skel" to "C:\asi\home\manos".
After that cygwin sometimes functions (does not  show error, pops manos@manos~
,as it always should normally) - commands like ls,cd,nano work- but it usually
doesn' t.

I am looking forward for help .

<snip>

Warning: There are multiple cygwin1.dlls on your path

Well, your cygcheck output warns that you have multiple cygwin1.dlls in your path. That seems to be true since there's are 3 different places that cygwin1.dll is found. Get rid of all the duplicates. Also of note is that you claim to have installed 1.5.23-2 but your cygcheck suggests otherwise. All the cygwin1.dlls you have are 1.5.18. Unless this makes sense to you, you may be better off cleaning up and starting over.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746