>       C:\usr\shared\Compuware\NMShared
>       C:\usr\shared\Compuware\
>       C:\WUsr\Subversion\bin
>       C:\SFU\common\
>       c:\bin
>       c:\usr\gnuplot\bin
> Found: c:\bin\awk.exe
> Found: \bin\awk.exe
> Warning: c:\bin\awk.exe hides \bin\awk.exe
> Found: C:\bcb6\Bin\grep.exe

You have competing programs, such as those from SFU, on your path, and
must have run cygcheck with cygwin off your path (I would welcome a patch
to cygcheck that scanned the cygwin mount point for /bin whether or not
that was currently on %PATH% at the time cygcheck was run).  That may or
may not come back to haunt you; I would recommend sticking with just one
version of Unix-y tools.

I don't have SFU installed, it's just a remnants in the PATH so I just remove it. As for awk etc. in c:\bin, it's there for a long time and cygwin has been coexisting with it fine.

Beyond that, I don't see any obvious problems, and you aren't a victim of
Vista's weird problems, so I have to suspect that you might have a buggy
driver that is interfering with cygwin's desired usage patterns.  Recent
culprits have included McAfee virus, Agnitum Outpost, Logitech webcam, ...

I have Outpost 4 installed and updated it recently. It does cause some problems like BSoDs and multithreading problems, but the last version seemed to be more stable. Anyway I'll try to turn it off or uninstall and see how cygwin works without it. I have a logitech mouse as well but I can hardly do without it. :(

Outpost has evolved from rather lightweight and efficient firewall
into a monstrous resource consumer with lots of unnecessary whistles
and bells. Can you recommend a minimalistic, reasonably good and well
behaving firewall? I need cygwin badly as I use lots of programs that
depend on it in my research and VMWare or additional Linux box is not
a good solution for me.

<skip>

--
The fish that is singing in Ucayaly river...