Re: cygwin 1.5.22 - cpan core dumping on initial

jake writes:
> $ cpan
> There seems to be running another CPAN process (pid 2064).  Contacting...
> Other job not responding. Shall I overwrite the lockfile? (Y/N) [y]
> Fetching with Net::FTP:
>   ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have occasionally seen a corrupt local cpan database cause this kind of error,
and it looks like you had a cpan process not shut down cleanly earlier.  Try
blowing away .cpan/Metadata, or even everything under .cpan.  Also, avoid sharing
your .cpan directory among multiple versions of perl (e.g. ActiveState and
cygwin, or local builds of perl and the stock cygwin perl.)