Re: OT observation: displaying share perms while in an ssh session

On Wed 12/20/06 17:06 EST "Andrew Louie" wrote:
> On 12/20/06, Tom Rodman <cygzx <at> trodman.com> wrote:
> > Thought this was interesting. My theory: if your in a cygwin
> > *password* *authenticated* ssh session, and you try to get a reporting
> > of the permissions for a network share, that the report will fail,
> > unless SYSTEM has read rights on the share.
>
> Are you talking about having an SSH daemon running through cygwin on a
> windows computer, then accessing that computer through ssh, and trying
> to read network shares off of it?

Yes, I wanted to check the perms on a share, for sys admin work, from
within an ssh session.

We get R/W access to network shares all the time from within cygwin ssh
sessions on windows computers, but for *password*
authenticated ssh sessions.

> You have to change the SSH daemon to run as a user of the domain so
> that it can read network shares properly, this guide is a big help:
>
> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html

Now we might be even further OT, but-Thank-you Andrew.

At the risk of getting Corinna angry.. does the approach in
the link above allow one to write to appropriately permissioned
network shares from within a public key authenticated ssh session?

Tom