"Connection closed by [host]" when ssh to Cygwin sshd

I am *still* having problems getting ssh and sshd to work under WinXP 2003 x64. I'm no longer seeing "error 1062" messages, but as of today (after I ran setup.exe to update my Cygwin install), whenever I try to ssh to localhost I immediately saw this message:

Connection closed by 127.0.0.1

I then wiped my Cygwin install and reinstalled. I did *not* enable Privilege Separation when I ran ssh-host-config (as Administrator), and I have neither "sshd" nor "ssh_server" users on the machine. Running ssh with multiple -v options shows this

[many previous lines snipped]
debug1: Offering public key: /home/kasper/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
Connection closed by 127.0.0.1

There are some interesting entries in the System and Application event logs. When I start sshd, an event like the following appears in the System log:

"A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the CYGWIN sshd service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2684 and process 2700 connected instead."

When I try to connect with ssh, I see an error message in the Application log whose Description includes the text

"The following information is part of the event: sshd: PID 2500: fatal: seteuid 1003: No such process."

I'm using "CYGWIN_NT-5.2-WOW64 ABF466 1.5.22(0.156/4/2) 2006-11-13 17:01 i686 Cygwin", according to "uname -a".

I'm running a clean, up-to-date Cygwin install that I performed this morning as Administrator.

I deleted both the sshd and ssh_service users on the system, and I'm running sshd as the "Local System" account, configured to NOT "allow service to interact with desktop".

"cygrunsrv -Q sshd" returns

Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D

I'm running "OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006".

If anyone has any ideas, I'll try anything.

-B