Re: 1.5.22: Error from anything using the cygwin dll

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 11:52:55AM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> You wouldn't by any chance be using any kind of firewall or internet
>>>security packages, would you?  Something by Norton/McAffee, perhaps?
>>
>>And, this wouldn't be a situation of multiple cygwins on the machine,
>>would it?
>>
>>And, as has been previously requested, cygcheck output would be useful.
>

>Actually, Mikkel was good enough to provide the 'cygcheck' output with his

Huh!  Well, it's hardly *my* fault that I have to scroll down in the archives
to see the attachment.

Ok, well, maybe it is my fault, but they really should improve the archives
so that it is clear that there is an attachment.

Ok, well, maybe I'm responsible for the format of the archives but...

.
.
.

I got nothin'.

Sorry for missing this.  I would still do a check for other copies of
cygwin1.dll however.

>There's no other cygwin1.dll found, though that was my first thought too.
>
>I'm with Dave and Mikkel in believing that the difference between safe mode
>and not is significant.  I'm betting on virus scanners/firewalls or some
>network driver.

The address in question is in cygwin's cygthread handling code.
Historically, this has been affected by things like scanners/firewalls
and special drivers, so this is a good thought.

I have seen something like this myself in the past but it was so sporadic
that I was never able to track it down and I haven't seen it in months.

cgf