Re: Updated: cygwin-1.5.22-1

After recent updates (including cygwin1.dll, bash), starting an rxvt
showed the following message:

: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
: command not found
bash: /etc/profile: line 63: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
'ash: /etc/profile: line 63: `  done <<- EOF

So I looked into /etc/profile and it turned out to have DOS line-ends!

After fixing this manually, rxvt would start normally, except -
I suddenly had a US keyboard layout! (On a German keyboard.)

So I ran setup again, marked all x11 packages (except fonts) to reinstall,
unfortunately I accidently hit something (intended for some other window)
into setup.exe while it was installing, it aborted and X didn't run anymore.
Running setup again, it crashes. By try-and-error, I could reinstall
everything except x11-xorg-etc on which setup always crashes now. Well,
after most reinstalls got through, X does run again, but still with that
misconfigured keyboard layout.

Another weird problem is that /bin/sh does not work anymore (does not
seem to be run at all, no feedback) and as a consequence, most shell
scripts don't run either.
I've just copied bash.exe to sh.exe now for a fix.

Why did this update turn out to be such a catastrophe?
What can I do to get a proper keyboard layout?
Why was /bin/sh disabled (has not been updated, version of Dec 2005)?

Kind regards,
Thomas