Re: 1.5.21-1: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2000 SP4)

Dan Harkless wrote:

<snip>

However, I have had issues in the past few months where suddenly commands in
my bash window would start failing with the "probably due to using
incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL" error (without crash popups).  When
that first occurred, I did a search and found no other copies of
cygwin1.dll.  Also, in those cases, rebooting the machine would fix the
problem, which would seem to indicate it was not due to there being multiple
'cygwin1.dll's in the PATH.  Is it possible a statically linked application
using Cygwin code could cause this error, if it were running at the time?

No.  Another application using a different cygwin1.dll would have to be
running.  As long as it is, the old cygwin1.dll is loaded in memory and
will cause conflicts.  Kill'em.

<snip>

Today when I reinstalled Cygwin again, setup.exe told me that
C:\WINNT\system32\cygwin1.dll was back, even though I had confirmed deletion
yesterday.  Does Cygwin itself ever install the DLL there?  If not, I guess
there's some application on my system that does, and that repaired itself by
putting it back after I deleted it yesterday.  I have a few video codecs,
converters, and players (some of which were installed last night) that I
believe use code that was originally written for Linux, so it's possible
it's from one of them.

Yes, there are some <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> in this genre.

<snip>

I did notice that there is a C:\WINNT\system32\cygz.dll file, dated June 21,
2005 (I tried various 'strings' commandlines on it but didn't get anything
that looked like a version number).  Is it feasible it could be causing sshd
to misbehave after reboot until it's restarted?  Perhaps I should try making
a safety copy of it, reboot, and see if sshd allows connections without
being restarted.

Delete all cyg*.dlls you have in the system32 directory.  Whatever is there
is put there by a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>.  You don't need'em.  You
don't want'em.  They'll just cause you grief (as you've noted already).

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746