Re: 1.5.19-4: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2003 Server SP1)

Dan Harkless wrote:

> Does this mean setup.exe should be modified to do a rebaseall as the final
> step of installation, so fresh installs of Cygwin won't be broken
> out-of-the-box?

This has been discussed in the past.  It's not a good idea, because:

- rebaseall is not always needed, only in certain combinations of
circumstances, so doing it always is a waste of time/effort/extra step
to go wrong.  Most users will never need to do it.

- rebaseall is kind of an ugly hack, a temporary crutch until such time
as all maitainers have compiled their packages with
-Wl,--enable-auto-image-base, then we could retire the notion of
manually assigning base addesses after-the-fact.

- rebaseall currently breaks the emacs package, if installed.

- rebaseall requires that no files be in use, otherwise it aborts at the
first DLL it cannot open for writing.  Apparently the notion of stopping
all Cygwin apps/services before running setup.exe is way beyond some
people, so this would end up being yet another thing that trips them up.

Brian