RE: Install failing and leaving unusable system

On 30 October 2006 04:34, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Julian Hall wrote:

>> I'd suggest changing them so that the destination filename in the case
>> of an abnormal exit is different (e.g. scriptName + ".failed").  A flag
>> could then be set so that a dialog box is shown at the end, stating that
>> errors occurred running the postinstall scripts, and directing users to
>> a simple shell script that can be run after rebooting, which will run
>> all the /etc/postinstall/*.failed scripts and move them to appropraite
>> ".done" names.
>>
>> Does that sound like a sensible idea?
>
> It does sound reasonable, but here are a couple of observations:
>
> 1) This was proposed before (see the discussion thread starting at
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2006-03/msg00062.html>).  One
> alternative is to avoid renaming the failed scripts altogether, so that
> they get re-run on next setup.

  How about just providing an extra option on the "choose installation type"
page: "Re-run failed postinstall scripts", that just jumps immediately to that
stage, and thereby cleans up any leftovers?

  ISTM that would provide all the same functionality in one nice neat package.
I'll look at whipping up a patch for consideration.

    cheers,
      DaveK