Re: igncr vs text mode mounts, performance vs compatibility

Eric Blake wrote:
There is also the possibility of making bash turn igncr on by default, but
/bin/sh leaving it off, since only /bin/sh is specified by POSIX; but that
also gives me the willies thinking about people who will complain why
their script doesn't work when they change from #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/sh.

With all due respect, /bin/sh is meant to be POSIX-conforming, and IMO should force igncr to be off. IOW such people deserve what they get. :-)

The other side of this argument is 'why did you switch to #!/bin/sh?'. Chance are it was done to make a script "more portable", and as we of course know '\r' line endings are *not* portable.

Not that I'm trying to convince you of anything, just trying to help you feel better if you decide to make this decision. :-)

--
Matthew
$ kill bill - kill: can't find process "bill"