Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.0.122-1

On Oct 12 07:18, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 08:55:23AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> >This sounds like a good idea to me.  Scripts in the distro relying on
> >the cygdrive path could use it.  There's also the problem that different
> >users could use different cygdrive prefixes.
> >
> >> Hmm, how about /dev/fs/<driveletter>? ;-)
> >
> >What about /proc/cygdrive/<driveletter>?
>
> A filesystem under /dev or /proc is not very linux-like.
>
> If this is really needed (which I'm not convinced is really true) why
> don't we just hardwire /cygdrive?  The mount option could still allow
> referencing drives via some other path but /cygdrive could still be
> available.

I think it is needed.  At least the base-files-mketc.sh postinstall
script creates paths which point outside the Cygwin root, so it either
needs to reference cygdrive paths, or use DOS paths.  Using cygdrives
paths is preferable, IMHO.  Since the cygdrive path is not fixed, and
can even differ between different users on the same machine, there must
be a fixed method to reference these paths.

Personally I'd rather not further clutter the root directory, which is
why /proc seems to me to be a better place to point to the cygdrive
paths in a constant fashion.  But that is only a mild opposition.  I'd
also go along with /cygdrive.

Corinna

Red Hat