Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.0.122-1

At 11-10-2006 19:36, Dave Korn wrote:
On 11 October 2006 18:15, Frank Fesevur wrote:

I've tried his test case and Mark is right. When a symlink is created
with a win32 path, vim can not create the swapfile. When a symlink is
created with POSIX filenames there is no problem.

Well of course not. Cygwin - as a special feature - interprets DOS paths. VIM has no notion of them, so when it reads the symlink content and tries to figure out which directory it is pointing to a file in, it can't understand what's going on.

  The solution I'm afraid is "WDDTT" WRT creating cygwin symlinks with dos
paths.  Cygwin can do magical path translation when someone passes an argument
to open(...), but there's no way it can know when a program reads a path from
somewhere and manipulates it itself.

  Maybe the base-files package should create the symlinks to cygdrive paths in
the first place?  It solves the problem:

Indeed it should do so. OR there should be an automatic translation when the link is made. Also solves the problem.

Regards,
Frank