Cygwin as non-adminstrator

After installing and running Cygwin (on Windows XP Professional) as an
administrator, I tried to run it as an ordinary user (no
administrative rights) and ran into permission problems. When I
installed Cygwin, I made sure to select the option to make Cygwin
available to all users, however as an ordinary user, clicking on the
Cygwin icon on my deskop started the BASH shell, which printed "bash:
/etc/profile: Permission denied" and the shell was useless because the
environment wasn't set up.

Now, the Cygwin icon on the desktop is a .bat file with these contents:

@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

When a user runs this script for the first time, the user's home
directory is created in /home (really C:\cygwin\home) and
configuration files are copied into the user's home directory. I'm not
certain how this happens (anyone know?) but I'm guessing something
about my file permissions is preventing this. I'm providing the output
of cacls (the Windows command line utility for inspecting file
permissions) for C:\cygwin, C:\cygwin\home, C:\cygwin\etc, and
C:\cygwin\etc\profile. I'm not an expert in NT object permissions but
perhaps someone who is will spot the problem, or tell me that I'm
barking up the wrong tree. Here is the cacls output; note that
SYSENG-PLAYPEN0\largyt is the administrative user who successfully
installed and ran Cygwin; the ordinary user trying to run Cygwin
doesn't appear anywhere in the output:

C:\>cacls c:\cygwin
c:\cygwin BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
         SYSENG-PLAYPEN0\largyt:F
         CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
         BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R
         BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)

FILE_APPEND_DATA

BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)

FILE_WRITE_DATA

C:\>cacls c:\cygwin\home
c:\cygwin\home SYSENG-PLAYPEN0\largyt:F
              SYSENG-PLAYPEN0\None:(special access:)

                                   READ_CONTROL
                                   SYNCHRONIZE
                                   FILE_GENERIC_READ
                                   FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                                   FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                                   FILE_READ_DATA
                                   FILE_WRITE_DATA
                                   FILE_APPEND_DATA
                                   FILE_READ_EA
                                   FILE_WRITE_EA
                                   FILE_EXECUTE
                                   FILE_DELETE_CHILD
                                   FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                                   FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

Everyone:(special access:)

                       READ_CONTROL
                       SYNCHRONIZE
                       FILE_GENERIC_READ
                       FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                       FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                       FILE_READ_DATA
                       FILE_WRITE_DATA
                       FILE_APPEND_DATA
                       FILE_READ_EA
                       FILE_WRITE_EA
                       FILE_EXECUTE
                       FILE_DELETE_CHILD
                       FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                       FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

              CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
              CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)

                                        READ_CONTROL
                                        SYNCHRONIZE
                                        FILE_GENERIC_READ
                                        FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                                        FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                                        FILE_READ_DATA
                                        FILE_WRITE_DATA
                                        FILE_APPEND_DATA
                                        FILE_READ_EA
                                        FILE_WRITE_EA
                                        FILE_EXECUTE
                                        FILE_DELETE_CHILD
                                        FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                                        FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)

                                   READ_CONTROL
                                   SYNCHRONIZE
                                   FILE_GENERIC_READ
                                   FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
                                   FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
                                   FILE_READ_DATA
                                   FILE_WRITE_DATA
                                   FILE_APPEND_DATA
                                   FILE_READ_EA
                                   FILE_WRITE_EA
                                   FILE_EXECUTE
                                   FILE_DELETE_CHILD
                                   FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
                                   FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

C:\>cacls c:\cygwin\etc
c:\cygwin\etc BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
             NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
             SYSENG-PLAYPEN0\largyt:F
             CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
             BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R
             BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)

FILE_APPEND_DATA

BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)

FILE_WRITE_DATA

C:\>cacls c:\cygwin\etc\profile
c:\cygwin\etc\profile BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                     SYSENG-PLAYPEN0\largyt:F
                     BUILTIN\Users:R