RE: All Files and Directories on a Windows Fileserver Share Act Like Character Special Device

I do not know _which_ Windows OS the fileservers are running (I only
have user access, and no physical access, to them), but it _is_ NTFS
that is used.  Here is the output of `getfacl' and `cacls' on a
directory which works:
	# file: /s/DUR-SERVICE/Service-Open-Items
	# owner: LongPhil
	# group: Domain Users
	user::rwx
	group::r-x
	other:r-x
	mask:rwx
	s:\DUR-SERVICE\Service-Open-Items
GOSS\GRP-DUR-L-DUR-SERVICE_SERVICE-OPEN-ITEMS (RO):(OI)(CI)R

GOSS\GRP-DUR-L-DUR-SERVICE_SERVICE-OPEN-ITEMS (RW):(OI)(CI)C

GOSS\ADM-DOV-AdminFileData:(OI)(CI)F

BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
	                                  CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
	                                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
Here is the output of `getfacl' and `cacls' on a directory which does
NOT work:
      # file: /r/user/LongPhil/Service/qnx/4/logs/unitedlitho
      # owner: LongPhil
      # group: Domain Users

      r:\user\LongPhil\Service\qnx\4\logs\unitedlitho <Account Domain
not found>(OI)(CI)F
                                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)R

GOSS\dur.docman:(OI)(CI)F

GOSS\LongPhil:(OI)(CI)C

Finally, I have attached a `cygcheck -c' output file; as U can see,
there are three packages that are not `OK:'
      Cygwin Package Information
      Package                  Version            Status
      hicolor-icon-theme       0.5-1              Incomplete
      lyx                      1.4.3-4            Incomplete
      tetex-bin                3.0.0-3            Incomplete

As far as I can tell, nothing changed on the fileservers; IT usually
changes _everything_ at once, and usually only in tiny increments.  Our
domain users list gets changed fairly regularly, however; could having
an out-of-date /etc/passwd and /etc/group make a difference?

					Thx, Phil the Old Coder
 << File:  cygcheck.lis >>