Re: cygwin unix commands in windows

From: Eric Blake <

> I noticed that if I run those commands in a machine without cygwin
> installed.
> it still looks for c:\cygwin

Which commands look for c:\cygwin when it is not installed?  setup.exe,
and all cygwin programs, honor your mount points.  If cygwin has never
been installed, then no programs know to look for c:\cygwin because there
is no cygwin installed and thus no mount points.  And until cygwin is
installed, cygwin 'ls' will not work.

that is not true.

If I copy ls.exe and related cygwin dll over a machine with no cygwin installed,
"ls /" will list all files under c:/ , not c:/cygwin. I mistakely thought it will list c:/cygwin.

that is good to know. thanks.

tom

Express yourself - download free Windows Live Messenger themes! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/themes/vibe/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline