Re: Similar Bash 3.1.18 CR/LF Problem

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:22:11AM -0400, Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 01:06:19PM -0400, Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:
>>Seriously, I'd have a hard time believing that supporting
>><CR><LF> endings would noticably impact performance if it
>>were done as part of upstream BASH.
>
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>You haven't been paying attention, it seems.
>>
>>We've already been over this ground.  The performance impact for
>>turning on bash's automatic CRLF handling is profound.  That's why
>>we're here.
>
>I guess WJM around here.  :-) But perhaps I've been paying more
>attention than you think.
>
>If a patch is incorporated into upstream BASH, it's not going to cause
>performance problems.  If it did, it would be rejected.  That's
>something for the upstream maintainers to decide.

I was specifically referring to your assertion that you would have a
hard time believing that CRLF handling would impact performance.  Since
bash already has CRLF handling that impacts performance severely I
don't see any basis in believing that just getting something included
upstream would be a guarantee that there would be no performance
problems.

But, Eric has weighed in on the subject and if he says that there isn't
much impact with his change, I certainly believe him.

cgf