RE: bash shell globbing not working anymore

On 04 October 2006 16:47, Andy Telford wrote:

> Has any experienced this?
>
> - "ls" works but "ls *" returns "ls: *: No such file or directory"
> - same if I just use the shell builtin "echo *" just returns "*"

  You are in an empty directory.  There is nothing for the '*' to match.

  As glob expansion is handled by the shell, ls ends up actually seeing "*" as
the argument passed to it, rather than a list of filenames.  Since there is no
file called "*" in the directory, there is nothing for it to list; it returns
the same error as any other non-existent filename.

  Contrast the effect of "ls *" against "ls .*".

    cheers,
      DaveK