Re: bash scripts fail with bash3.1-8

Am Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:02:29 +0100
schrieb "Dave Korn" :

> On 03 October 2006 16:43, Turly O'Connor wrote:
>

> > By way of an example as to what broke, note that in the following
> > that  "cleartool" is not a cygwin tool (it's a Windows executable),
> > writing its CRLF-terminated output to Windows' stdout.
> >
> > CHECKOUTS=`cleartool lsc -all -cvi -s`  # list all my checkouts
> >
> > I used to be able to do
> >
> > for one in $CHECKOUTS ; do echo $one Hello ; done
> >
> > C:/Path/To/file1 Hello
> > C:/Path/To/file2 Hello
> >
> > Now it seems that "$one" above contains the binary CR, so I get:
> >
> > Hello h/To/file1
> > Hello h/To/file2
> >
> > What do I need to do to get this working again?
>
>   How about
>
> CHECKOUTS=`cleartool lsc -all -cvi -s | d2u`  # list all my checkouts
>
> or
>
> for one in $((echo $CHECKOUTS | d2u)) ; do echo $one Hello ; done
>
> depending on how happy cleartool is on piping output to a cygwin
> program.

This is exactly the problem I have with my sqlplus call.
Is there a way to solve it without introducing the d2u filter ?

What I do is:

RESULT=`sqplus -s user/ps@DATABASE << EOF
sql-commands here
EOF

and it is easy to change it to

RESULT=`sqplus -s user/ps@DATABASE << EOF | d2u
sql-commands here
EOF

(is working)

For native UNIX systems the "d2u" command is unnecessary.
I could do something like
D2U="| d2u" under Cygwin
and
D2U="" under UNIX
and write
RESULT=`sqplus -s user/ps@DATABASE << EOF | $D2U

But this still requires that I touch the scripts.
And we have a lot of such scripts, Cygwin is just one platform and I
have not access to all shell sources.

Best regards,
Thomas