Re: courier auth+imap

Marek Telgarsky wrote:

[snip]
> So presumably maildir (with courier, rather than mbox with uw-imap) would
> somewhat alleviate this problem?

I don't know, it depends on how maildir works.  I've interest in UW because of the new mix format, which is an indexed set of files... but that has other problems under Cygwin (probably easier to solve than the locks).

[snip]
> I can't make it run on the command line or as a service. According to the docs on
> the courier site, authdaemond sits around and starts some other processes,
> dumping info about it to syslog. When run from the command line as a normal user,
> it just exits, not putting anything into /var/log/messages. When run as a
> service, /var/log/messages gets:
>
> Sep 30 23:17:21 Package authd: PID 3976: `authd' service stopped, exit status: 5
>
> But I think that is something cygrunsrv outputs, not authdaemond.

Are you installing it as a service with "cygrunsrv ... -x <pid-file> -a ..." ?  Otherwise cygrunsrv will report that the daemon stopped when it detaches (you should be able to see the process running in that case).

>> Running under what user & what Windows version?
>
> WinXP SP2, ran on command line as myself, tried as service with default SYSTEM user.

To run as user in XP you'll need to put yourself in the administrators groups (powerusers may also work), but that's only interesting if the daemon has a debug or verbose mode.

>> No messages in the event log (or syslog if you are using it)?
>
> Not for authdaemond (I think).

Strange that the daemon doesn't write anything, the output is well identified in the syslog with the usual syntax  (date host process PID message).

[snip]
> Yes, incomplete. I posted the configure/make instructions in the hope that it
> helps someone else get far enough to help out. :-D
>
>> Dovecot is another server that compiles easily, but their Wiki seems to point to
> the same problem with advisory locking under Cygwin.
>
> I didn't realize Dovecot had similar problems to uw-imap. I chose Courier because
> it supports maildir and seems to have good reviews.

Probably all of them are good (I've only used Cyrus and UW-imap), but under Windows I think that the highest feature on the list is how they manage users: virtual, real local or real from a server (LDAP or Windows equivalent or Unix server), along with reliability.

>> As you can see, there are a few of us interested in this subject but, as you
> say, there isn't much experience reported.
>
> Would be cool if it was part of the distribution, eventually.

Yes, it's needed to go along with Exim.
--
René Berber