Re: bash 3.1.18 seems seriously broken

Eric Blake wrote:
According to Eric Blake on 9/27/2006 7:02 PM:
change the script to ignore whitespace (make the first non-comment line
set IFS appropriately, as in this snippet:
'

I retract this third suggestion. On investigation of the bash source, bash still treats \r as a non-IFS-whitespace, so while it has some effect, it is not a complete way to ignore \r\n line endings.

I may still be able to add a cygwin-specific shopt for this, but recommend
a text mount in the meantime if you are forced to use \r\n endings.

While I still think this is probably the best solution (and should be less of a performance hit on binary, right? You still read buffered, and just discard '\r' in parsing, yes?), I wouldn't make it Cygwin-specific. At minimum, I /know/ this also affects Interix (and again, you should check with Rodney; I think he's already done half the work), and - being a shopt that has to be manually enabled - there might be a handful of people that would appreciate having this option on other UNIX's.

Anyway, that's my $0.02...

--
Matthew
My preferred shell is Christian. It's Bourne Again.