RE: Linking Assembly Code - Can't resolve printf

Hi Kai,

Thank you so much. That got it compiling. I had tried it before, being
inspired by the results of objdump on libc.a, but it didn't work at that
point because I hadn't yet read about the importance of ordering the -lc
after the object. I hadn't gone back and tried it since making that change,
until your suggestion. Thanks!!

The code is actually taken out of "Professional Assembly Language" by
Richard Blum.

I presume by entry-point your referring to the use of _start instead of
main. According to the book (I have no way of knowing beyond testing on a
separate linux box if it is true though), using gcc directly requires "main"
entrypoint but 'as' expects _start as the default entry-point.

In the first piece of code I pasted, I am guessing the 0x80 signal interrupt
to write to console is a linux only feature that won't somehow get
translated by cygwin/gcc (I had hoped otherwise, but figured as much).

Ignoring 0x80 issue (assuming that was the problem you were alluding), I can
now get it compiling but not running. Below is an earlier program from the
same book which doesn't use 0x80.

#cpuid2.s View the CPUID Vendor ID string using C library calls
.section .data
output:
    .asciz "The processor Vendor ID is '%s'\n"
.section .bss
    .lcomm buffer, 12
.section .text
.globl _start
_start:
    movl $0, %eax
    cpuid
    movl $buffer, %edi
    movl %ebx, (%edi)
    movl %edx, 4(%edi)
    movl %ecx, 8(%edi)
    pushl $buffer
    pushl $output
    call printf
    addl $8, %esp
    pushl $0
    call exit

It now compiles fine, but crashes as soon as it runs. I am hoping it is not
the entry-point issue, since the same syntax compiled and ran successfully
on my fedora box.

In the book, the author says that the program will crash because it is
necessary to specify the runtime dynamic linker. In the linux platform
example for which the book targets, it states to use:
ld -dyanmic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -o cpuid2 -lc cpuid2.o

The problem is that I have no idea what the cygwin-equivalent for that would
be, assuming it's even possible. If not, assuming file size isn't a concern,
is there a way to get the compiled program to at least statically link in
all of the required libraries so that I can run it?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

- David