RE: G77, libg2c and a linking problem

On 15 September 2006 22:52, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> I have applied what you suggested since then and have built happily many
> applications with G77, GCC 3.4.4-2 (CERNLIB, ROOT, Emacs-cvs...).
>
> Now I have discovered these strange linking problems trying to change
> somethings in the procedure to build Cernlib and have reproduced that
> simple test case.
>
> In these hours I have found the same behavior on Linux Kubuntu with
> G77-3.4.6.

  Can we then assume that the cernlib build process is doing something
unneccessary or unusual or incorrect?

> In any case it sound 'strange' that moving '-s' or '-o hello' on command
> line changes the result of linking libg2c.

  Well, add '-v' to the command lines you've been demonstrating, and see
what's actually getting passed to the linker.  It should all become clear in
terms of the linker's requirement that undefined references must always come
in objects earlier than the symbols that satisfy those references.

    cheers,
      DaveK