Re: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

Chris McIntosh wrote:
Hello, I work at a company where we have a complicated Linux build. We
use cygwin to mimic this build on windows for some of our windows
centric people.

At different times when cygwin forks it will throw a Resource
temporarily Unavailble error. I am tempted to call this "Random"
because it doesn't manifest itself until a random time, but once
manifested it will continue to fail at the exact same spot. This spot
is different for all users but once it does happen it continues to
fail.

This is typically in our make flow when it is forking or spawning
another process to execute a command.

Here is a snip

../../../../..//class/mfs/engine/disp/gf100_engine.mfs
/usr/bin/env: ../../../../..//bin/Win32/cfp: Resource temporarily unavailable
makepp: Failed to build target gf100.xml

One thing to note, the command that it fails on is different for all
users. It actually fails when forking. Another example is

/usr/bin/bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[4]: *** [ObjWin32/.PTreeVisitor.d] Error 128

After looking at the cygwin source I found that EAGAIN which produces
this message is mapped to many windows errors. So after more
investigation I found it to be Win32 error 234 which is
ERROR_MORE_DATA. I then traced this down to when cygwin calls
CreateProcessAsUser in spawn.cc

So my question, has anyone seen this before. I don't think it is a
cygwin bug since it the win api returning this error, but maybe it is
something to do with the call.

Any pointers or tips would be helpful.
Hi all,
I also have this problem. I use xfce as my desktop and window manager and after a totally arbitrary amount of time (sometimes 10 mins, sometimes days) I start getting this error "Failed to fork (Resource temporarily unavailable)" from the xfce4-panel and it refuses to launch anything. Xfdesktop usually goes shortly after as well. I also noticed by the time this starts happening the process stops showing up when I do a "ps -ef", It doesn't even show up when I pass it a -W either, I have to kill it from Task Manager and start a new one. About this time I also start repeatedly getting this exact error as well: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-07/msg00239.html when I build my companies tool in cygwin (with make-3.80).

I've reinstalled cygwin several times, tried doing a rebaseall, tried changing the heap size, and none of that made any difference for me. (Have not tried the new dll posted in this thread but it was reported that did not solve his problem). I tried downgrading bash from 3.1-6 to 3.0-14 and it seemed like it had fixed both problems but then a week later it returned. I tried setting "CYGWIN=error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe codepage:oem" and verifyed it worked but it does not catch the sh.exe crash.

I use the xfce4 ports from: http://www.amazepc.com/bamanzi/cygwin/xfce4/ (several versions, it happened with all of them) and have also tried the pkgs in ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports. I had everything working perfectly for over a year with the xfce ports mentioned, then something happened to my cygwin install in a power outage so I did a clean reinstall. Ever since I have had all these nightmare problems. Any suggestions for what to try/check/install/log/debug would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick