Re: Need Volunteers to test patch for gnu make

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 03:34:58PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>At 12:38 PM 9/8/2006, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>Thanks Bob.  OK, so that is three people that have tested this patch.
>>Please try the patch if you use make.  DOS paths will be on by DEFAULT
>>and there will be no way to turn it off.  We want to make sure this
>>does not break any POSIX based makefiles.
>
>Since folks seem to be adverse to building from source, I have made the
>patched make.exe available here:
>
>http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe
>
>Please try it, and report any problems on this list.

To be clear: the only way this will *ever* show up in a Cygwin make
release is if I am satisfied that all of the people who complained about
this issue will not still be complaining after I make a new release.

So anyone who previously expressed reservations about the current make
behavior should should try the binary that William has graciously made
available and report back here.

And, no, I'm not going to produce a test release of make with this
change.  Sending email is about the limit of the effort that I'm willing
to go to for this issue.

cgf