RE: Cannot execute binary file

On 07 September 2006 19:08, Arun Biyani wrote:

> Recently, I've run into this "cannot execute binary file" problem. I
> have not run this
> program for 3-4 months but before that it would run fine in Cygwin. It
> was compiled
> and linked for Cygwin even though "file" command says linux.

> [rom$:553] m68k-elf-objcopy -O  binary  umon_rom.elf umon_rom.bin
> /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy: /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy: cannot execute binary file
> [rom$:554] file /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy
> /bin/m68k-elf-objcopy: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV),
>  for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for
> GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped

  No.  No way on earth did it ever run that file.  If the file command says
linux, then it IS linux.  You must have overwritten your cygwin version at
some stage with a linux version.

>  Session
> transcript
> below. Does anyone know if I can download a pre-built gcc toolchain for
> Cygwin?

  I don't know of any but it's probably there are some out there, but if your
compiler works and it's only your binutils you've got problems with, it's
trivially easy to build cross-binutils from source on cygwin.

    cheers,
      DaveK