RE: ssh-agent variables available to any user process

Hi All...

From: Jörg Schaible Reply-To: To: "[ML] CygWin " Subject: RE: ssh-agent variables available to any user process
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:02:46 +0200

Lapo Luchini wrote on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:42 AM:

> Under FreeBSD, I launch ssh-agent in my .xsession script and its
> environment is automatically inherited by every shell I then
> open in my
> X11 session.
> No such luck with Windows, but I found a way to propagate a
> environment variable to any (future) user process after the user is
> already logged.
> (or, at the very least...) Works for me.
>
> Variables will be then available on any shell and program opened after
> the attached script is executed.
> (put it in "Startup" menu in order to execute it at logon time)

I use a similar approach for years utilizing keychain. In my ~/.profile I have following lines:

I do domething similar, but skip using keychain because it adds so much time to launching a bash shell window. I just use ssh-agent directly. Once you do all this work, keychain isn't doing much for you.

====== %< =======
if test -z "`pidof ssh-agent`"; then
keychain ~/.ssh/id_dsa
. ~/.keychain/`hostname`-sh
# Create batch files to be called from running shells
cat ~/.keychain/`hostname`-sh | sed -e "s/;.*$//g" | u2d > ~/.keychain/`hostname`-command.bat
# Set environment directly
regtool -s set /machine/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session\ Manager/Environment/SSH_AUTH_SOCK $SSH_AUTH_SOCK
regtool -s set /machine/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session\ Manager/Environment/SSH_AGENT_PID $SSH_AGENT_PID
# Broadcast of WM_SETTINGCHANGE
update-env
else
. ~/.keychain/`hostname`-sh
fi
====== %< =======

And update-env.c is:

====== %< =======
#include <windows.h>
int main() {
SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SETTINGCHANGE, 0, (LPARAM)"Environment");
}
====== %< =======

build with Makefile:

====== %< =======
all: update-env.exe

%.exe: %.c
	gcc -mno-cygwin $^ -o $*
	strip $@
====== %< =======
I use

ssh-add -l >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
 ssh-add
fi

in my profile and I launch ssh-agent from a service(one service for each user), so it survives logout on windows. The service and service installer bash scripts are attached.

I've considered supporting this as a package, but have not seen much interest.

I never found a way to broadcast the WM_SETTINGCHANGE directly form the script without the little helper app.
Neither did I. My helper application sendchenv.exe, but the same as update-env.exe. My source is also attached.

HTH,

...Karl